In 2017 I saw some patients lose a lot of weight. Now is the time of year again to make new weight loss resolutions.
After my undergrad degree, I owned a company named FitZone. I worked as a trainer and nutritionist. That experience helped me learn exactly why some people succeed and others fail at weight loss.
Here’s the #1 reason: it’s all about your mindset.
The only time I’ve seen people truly succeed was when they didn’t allow any excuses. They stuck to their goal no matter what.
I saw people get great results when they began with a made up mind.
What does that mean?
They finally stopped saying they will start after the next holiday, the next party, or when their busy schedule slows down.
Those excuses will always be there IF you allow them.
I believe every time you put off starting you’re keeping yourself from reaching your goal.
You will always be able to come up with a reason to start tomorrow. The most important thing right now is to start. Don’t wait!
Be sure you start with a made up mind. No matter what you will stick to your plan. That’s the only way to ever hit your goals.
Now let me give you the absolute best action steps to finally lose the weight you want this year.
This advice is for people that simply want to lose weight as efficiently as possible.
This is not for the person that truly enjoys working out a lot. Running, cycling classes, Crossfit, etc. unless you’re willing to do less exercise.
Here’s why: the science to lose weight is very simple. There’s nothing too hard or glamorous. The goal is to make your body utilize the stored fat you currently have. That’s it.
90% of success just has a mindset that won’t allow yourself to eat foods you shouldn’t.
The reality is people do LOTS of things to lose weight, BUT the reality is there are often just two or three action steps that make 90% of the difference.
Believe it or not most people workout way too much. They inhibit the process of adapting and burning stored body fat because they never recover from their workouts.
Here’s is a sure-fire approach using the best science to burn stored fat:
1. Cut the carbs. A lot of people debate this but here’s the reality: when you have no risk of starving you don’t “need” carbs. Plain and simple. Humans are carnivores first and foremost with the ability to digest some carbs in times of scarcity. In general, keep your carbs under 50g a day. Stay under 20g to lose weight faster but feel free to go Keto Diet or Zero Carb diet. If I had to do just one thing to lose body fat I would cut all the carbs.
2. Stop cardio workouts. I know this sounds crazy to some of you. If you just love running or biking or any endurance activity than do it. I always believe in just enjoying your life and doing activities you love. BUT, if your #1 goal is just to lose weight and you don’t have an activity preference then stop the cardio workouts altogether. Cardio training often results in chronic inflammation, cause increased fat storage, and decreased muscle density.
Essential tip: The more you workout you must eat better and cleaner. Exercise does not burn off a bad diet. It’s common for adults to exercise and never lose the fat or even gain weight because they refuse to change how they eat.
3. Lift weights 1-2 times a week AND be sure each workout is harder than the previous week. Remember, make the intensity higher and not the quantity. It’s better to exercise hard for a short period (15 minutes or less).
Lifting weights create many excellent hormonal changes that help your body burn more stored body fat.
Those are my top three strategies for people with a MINDSET ready to lose the weight. It doesn’t have to be complicated.
If you just start these 3 action steps now, you will start seeing results! Why wait?
Here are more tips to accelerate the process
1. Eat when you’re hungry. This strategy only works when you are eating a very low carb diet. You’ll eventually adapt and lose cravings for carbs and other junk. At times you will go 12-24 hours without even feeling hungry.
2. Intermittent Fasting. Start skipping a meal. It’s important to break out of the old mindset that says we need to eat constantly. Fasting is a great way to elevate hormones like HGH, enhance your immune system, and benefit your digestive health. Fasting also has fantastic benefits for your brain function. Fasting helps keep lean muscle and tap into stored body fat.
3. Stay cold. Keeping your body cold will cause it to use more stored body fat. Walk outside 30-60 minutes a day in the winter and keep the thermostat low when you sleep
4. Limit the caffeine. I prefer no caffeine when you’re trying to lose weight. Caffeine in small doses is ok, especially if your weight is where you want it. However, caffeine will disrupt hormones for most people.
5. Replace the long workouts with this a high-intensity workout that takes just minutes and is more effective at burning fat. Try this: PERFECT WORKOUT
Why is this a myth? This theory would be great if you were a steam engine that used heat to create movement.
What truly matters is what you are eating.
You need protein, fat, and cholesterol. YES, cholesterol is a vital nutrient!
If you are eating the right foods, you’ll never need to count calories or eat “regular” meals. You’ll have a normal appetite that alerts you to eat when needed.
If you want more advice or guidance please just ask. Call, email or text me anytime.
Always here for you!